- About HAC
- Volunteer Program
- How to Get Involved
- Contact Us
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
The Haitian American Caucus has had a presence in Haiti since 2003, operating an elementary school in the town of Croix Des Bouquets, Haiti. Since the earthquake of January 12, 2011 the Caucus has been expanding its programming to provide assistance and long term development in the community. Our current programs are in the areas of adult literacy, micro financing, English as a second language, elementary school education, agriculture and animal husbandry. All of our programs are geared towards building capacity and providing individuals with the tools needed to support themselves and their families. The work that HAC is doing in the community could not be accomplished without the help of our local and international volunteers who are the back bone of our work.
The Haitian American Caucus is looking for a candidate that is ready to serve in Haiti and help others do the same.
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Recruiting volunteers from diverse backgrounds
- Serves as the point of contact for volunteers.
- To organize community service projects within the community and other grassroots organizations
- Recruits volunteers through HAC website, social media, and online postings.
- Develop relationships with volunteer coordinators of other service organizations such as but not limited to student groups, community organizations and IDP camps
Prior to service,
- Utilizes information technology to communicate with potential and confirmed volunteers.
- Ensure that volunteers arriving have appropriate information to fill out all immigration/customs forms
- airport pick-up and drop-offs
- Leading orientations for new volunteers.
- Participates in programs with volunteers, or supervises volunteers for each event or activity.
- Serve as a historian for the volunteer program by updating the website, scrapbook and other social media.
- Develops and administers volunteer questionnaire and exit interview.
- Places volunteers in appropriate positions based on skills, interest and organizational need.
- managing sleeping placements
- Liaising with kitchen staff for meal arrangements (Vegan, Food Allergies, etc.)
- Serve as the host for the volunteers
Develops and updates growing data base of volunteers.
Develops and leads a volunteer recognition and development program, including:
o Thank you cards, emails, certificates of appreciation
- Develops and leads a volunteer recognition and development program, including:
We are looking for a long term commitment (3 months or longer)
Fluent in English
Experience working in a developing nation
Experience managing personnel and problem solving
Knowledge of French and/or Creole is a bonus but not required
HAC will provide housing and Meals
Airfare to and from Haiti not included
How to apply:
Please send letter of interest, resume, Name and Email address of three references to:
Teach English in rural Haiti
About HAC-Haiti’s After School English Program
Haiti’s proximity to the United States and English’s growing prominence in global markets is making the English language an attractive quality to prospective employers in Haiti. After many in the Croix-des-Bouquets area displayed interest in learning English, HAC started six English courses ranging from beginner to advanced. After the completion of the course, students receive certification, verifying their fluency to prospective employers. The English program is curriculum based, with daily lessons focusing on grammar and communication, through the use of books, worksheets, and multimedia.
HAC-Haiti seeks qualified English language teachers, students studying education, or ESL student teachers in need of observational hours to work with our English Program students.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Curriculum preparation
- Class Planning
- Teaching 2-3 classes a day
- Preparing tests, quizzes, and placement exams
- English Teaching Experience or Education
- TEFL/ TESOL/ CELTA certification preferred
- French language skills preferred but not required
Course credit can be provided.
Housing and meals will be provided, however teachers are responsible for paying a daily fee for their housing and meal expenses. The fee covers housing in the HAC compound, three meals a day, clean drinking water, electricity, running water, wi-fi internet access, and security.
How to apply
Applicants interested in the English Teaching Internship with the Haitian American Caucus should send a cover letter and resume explaining their experience and reasons for wanting to teach in Haiti to Country Director Samuel Darguin: email@example.com and Volunteer Coordinator Laura Papuga: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Volunteer opportunities in Haiti
HAC-Haiti is a comprehensive community development organization operating throughout the Republic of Haiti. Our programs seek to provide the tools, skills, and venue for individuals to take control of their destiny. We believe that by educationally, economically, and socially, empowering women, children, and families we can create strength that will build a better Haiti. After the devastating earthquake on January 12th 2010, the Haitian American Caucus started hosting volunteers at our compound in Croix-des-Bouquets to help support our organizational expansion and community development programs. Our volunteer program accepts individual volunteers, independent groups, students, interns, and university clubs or study abroad groups.
Volunteers will have the opportunity to work in various fields including:
- Elementary Education
- English Instruction
- Micro Finance and Small Business Development
- Woman’s Empowerment
- Public Health
Volunteer rotations: We accept volunteers on a rolling basis throughout the year. Rotations start Saturdays. Please contact us for more information on your availability to volunteer.
Volunteers are expected to pay an accommodation fee which goes toward their room and board at HAC-Haiti
Accommodation fee includes:
- Transportation to and from the Airport and HAC
- Lodging (bunk-bed, cot, or twin bed)
- All Meals in Haiti (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
- Clean drinking water
- Security in the compound.
-Wireless Internet access
The current accommodation fee starts at $40USD a day for individuals.
How to Apply
Applicants interested in volunteering with the Haitian American Caucus should send a cover letter and resume explaining their experience and reasons for wanting to volunteer in Haiti to Country Director Samuel Darguin: email@example.com and Volunteer Coordinator Laura Papuga: firstname.lastname@example.org